These keto devil eggs are a SIMPLE and delicious appetizer recipe with just 4 ingredients! Ready in just 12 minutes, you won’t be able to stop at one!
We take starters very seriously in my family.
For as long as I can remember, every time my parents had dinner parties or gatherings, they made sure an abundance of entrees was served. For them, starters were a foretaste of what was to come and they were always a hit.
from crispy crab cakes to jalapeno poppers, there was always something for everyone and it was always delicious. Even though I try not to play favorites, I’ve always had a soft spot for mom’s devil balls. Whenever she did these at home, I would always ask her to do a little more so I could enjoy it the next day.
Are Devil Eggs Keto?
What I love most about my mom’s version is that they are completely low carb and keto friendly! Well, not all diabolical egg recipes are like that. Many use commercially-purchased mayonnaise that is filled with sugar and excess carbohydrates.
This keto devil egg recipe is one that you will recreate upon repetition. Always a hit at any party or event, they come together quickly and easily. Made with just 4 main ingredients, there are no excuses not to try them.
What I love about this dish is that it is the starter or appetizer that anyone can partake of, whether you are on a keto diet or not!
How do you make keto devil eggs?
- Boiled eggs– Follow my instructions on how to cook the perfect eggs for devil eggs.
- mayonnaise– Skip the expensive store-bought styles and make your own.
- Dijon mustard– Compensates for the creaminess of the mayonnaise and creates a delicious flavor.
- vinegar– White or apple cider vinegar.
- salt and pepper– Taste good.
- chives– Finely chopped.
In a large saucepan with water, add the eggs and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, take it off the heat, cover the saucepan and let the eggs rest in the boiled water for 12 minutes. Then immediately transfer to a bowl filled with ice water and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Now carefully peel the eggs and cut them lengthways with a sharp knife and remove the yolks. Put the egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir to a smooth mass.
Finally, pour the filling into a piping bag and carefully inject into the egg white halves. Garnish with chives and serve immediately or refrigerate for an hour if they are to be served cold.
Tips for perfectly cooked eggs
- You need to add the eggs to the pot before bringing them to a boil. This allows the whites to cook.
- The water you transfer the boiled eggs into must be ice cold and may contain blocks of ice. The ice water reacts with the hot eggs to quickly set the yolks and whites and ensure they aren’t gummy or overcooked.
- When peeling the eggs, tap one side lightly with a spoon or knife.
- Change spices. Smoked paprika, onion, and garlic salt, and Italian condiments are great condiments to sprinkle over your eggs.
- Add bacon! Refine this starter by adding some crispy pieces of bacon on top (and mixing into the filling!).
- Make it cheesy. Fold some finely grated Parmesan under the filling and sprinkle a little more on top.
Storage and preparation information
- To store: Leftovers should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Move forward: If you want to prepare these in advance, refrigerate the boiled and chilled eggs for up to a week. To serve, simply peel the eggs, make the filling and then pipe into the egg white.
More keto starter recipes to try
frequently asked Questions
Are deviled eggs high in carbohydrates?
Deviled eggs, when made as described here, have virtually no carbohydrates. There are traces of carbohydrates from the Dijon mustard.
Can I eat boiled eggs on keto?
Boiled eggs are a fantastic carbohydrate-free food. It’s full of protein and healthy fats, and it’s great for breakfast, as a snack, or in recipes.
Is mayonnaise keto-friendly?
Depending on what brand of mayonnaise you buy (or which one you make), it’s a fantastic keto spice. i prefer a Homemade mayonnaise However, if you do choose one store-bought, look for one with no added sugar or thickening agents.
How long can I keep boiled eggs?
Boiled eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How Many Eggs Per Day on a Keto Diet?
Research and science show that individuals can eat three eggs a day. Eating so many a day doesn’t affect bad cholesterol levels. Even so, everyone is different and some can tolerate more than others.
- 6th great Eggs
- 1/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Cup chives finely chopped, for serving
Put the eggs in a large saucepan and fill up with water. Put it on medium heat and bring to a boil. As soon as they start to boil, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan. Let the eggs stand there for 12 minutes.
Move quickly and add the boiled eggs to a bowl of ice water. Chill for 20 minutes.
Peel the eggs and carefully cut them lengthways, then remove the yolks. Pour into a large mixing bowl, then add the remaining ingredients except for the chives and stir everything until smooth.
Pour the egg yolk mixture into a piping bag and inject the filling into the egg white halves. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.
TO STORE: Leftovers should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
TO MAKE AHEAD: If you want to prepare these in advance, refrigerate the boiled and chilled eggs for up to a week. To serve, simply peel the eggs, make the filling and then pipe into the egg white.
Portion: 1devilish egg | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 1G | Protein: 3G | Fat: 6thG | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1G | Vitamin A: 175IE | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg