This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Piccata is an Italian chicken dish made from pounded chicken breasts in a lemon and wine butter sauce with capers and parsley.
If you’re looking for more ways to add excitement to chicken breasts, you’ll love this chicken piccata recipe. Rather than using a ton of butter and oil, my dish uses a lot less oil and just a touch of butter. The taste is so good you won’t miss it! My daughter, who loves anything with lemon, really loves this dish. If you want to try this chicken piccata recipe with fish, try Flounder Picatta. And for more chicken breast recipes, you’ll also love making this Baked Chicken Breast, which you can also garnish with lemon and capers.
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken piccata is an Italian dish made with capers in a lemon butter sauce. While it’s not always breaded, we love this version inspired by Ina Garten’s chicken piccata.
How to make chicken piccata
What to serve with chicken piccata
- Pair it with a side of rice, roasted asparagus or broccoli, or a simple salad.
- If serving over pasta, you may want to double the sauce so that there is more to coat the pasta.
- protein: Replace the chicken with boneless pork chops or white fish.
- breadcrumbs: Swap out whole wheat breadcrumbs for panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs. If you can’t find a seasoned one, you can flavor plain breadcrumbs with Italian herbs and spices like onion and garlic powder and dried basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Wine: If you don’t like cooking with wine, swap it for chicken broth or buy a single-serving bottle of wine. You can also freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays to have on hand for future recipes.
- butter: If you’re allergic to butter, swap it out for ghee, vegan butter, or olive oil.
- eggs: If you can’t eat eggs, brush the chicken with Dijon mustard before topping it with breadcrumbs.
More Italian Chicken Recipes You’ll Love:
Preparation time: 5 Minutes
Cooking time: fifteen Minutes
Total time: 20th Minutes
Chicken piccata is an Italian chicken dish served in a lemon, wine and butter sauce with capers and parsley.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, 16 ounces total
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 big protein
- 2/3 Cup seasoned dry whole wheat crumbs
- Olive oil spray, worth about 1 tbsp
- 1 tablespoon Whipped butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine
- 1/2 Cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Sliced Lemon, To serve
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, To serve
Cut the chicken into 4 chops, then place the chops between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
In a flat plate, beat the egg whites and 1 teaspoon water.
Place the breadcrumbs in another plate. Dip each chicken breast in the egg first, then in the breadcrumbs.
Heat a large skillet over medium-medium heat.
Spray a generous amount of olive oil spray on one side of the chicken and place in the pan, oil side down.
Spray the top of the chicken liberally to coat and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Set aside until you make the sauce.
Clean the frying pan for the sauce. Melt butter over medium heat, add lemon juice, wine, chicken broth and the reserved lemon halves, salt and pepper.
Cook over high heat until cut in half, about 2 minutes.
Discard the lemon halves, add the capers and arrange a chicken cutlet on each plate.
Pour in the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a pinch of fresh parsley.
Air fryer method:
To cook the chicken in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 370F. Fry for 5 to 6 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp and golden and cooked through.
Portion: 1piece of chicken, Calories: 262kcal, Carbohydrates: 11.5G, Protein: 30thG, Fat: 9.5G, Saturated Fatty Acids: 2.5G, Cholesterol: 88mg, Sodium: 233.5mg, Fiber: 1.5G, Sugar: 0.5G
Keywords: Chicken breast recipes, chicken picatta, chicken picatta recipe, what is chicken picatta