I haven’t shared a salad recipe in a while, and since we’re going to see some Summer weather this week (can’t wait), I thought I’d share this variation on the zesty Lebanese fattoush salad!
Toasted whole wheat pita wedges take the place of fried white pita bread in this recipe, and they’re topped with a powerhouse combo of chickpeas, veggies, and a tahini green goodness dressing.
Two things make this recipe stand out: the crispy roasted chickpeas, which are seasoned with Zaatar spice blend and cumin, and the addition of a great, herbaceous sauce! Recipe compliments of The Full Helping.
- 2 large or 4 mini whole wheat pitas about 4 ounces total, cut into wedges, or 2-3 cups pita chips of choice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas home-cooked, or 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon Zaatar spice blend Shop
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 batch Tahini Green Goodness Dressing
Tahini Green Goodness Dressing
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons agave or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 green onion, top on
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Blend all dressing ingredients together in a powerful blender or a food processor till smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Place the pita chips on one lined baking sheet. Toss the chickpeas with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the Zaatar spice, and the cumin. Place the chickpeas on another lined baking sheet and sprinkle them with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer both sheets to the oven. Bake the pita chips for 5-7 minutes, or until they’re crispy at the edges (check them at 5 minutes to be sure they don’t burn). Bake the chickpeas for 30-35 minutes, or until they’re crispy and golden.
- While the chickpeas and pita are baking, toss the cucumbers, tomato, lettuce, parsley, and mint together with the remaining tablespoon olive oil, the red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, layer the pita chips in a large tray. Layer the cucumber and tomato salad on top, followed by the roasted chickpeas. Drizzle the whole tray generously with Tahini Green Goodness Dressing or your dressing of choice. Sprinkle with Zaatar spice blend for additional zest & serve. Sahtain, To Your Health!