These keto pretzels are soft, chewy, and need just 5 ingredients to make! No yeast and no flour needed, they come together in less than 15 minutes!
Bread is something I feared giving up since starting a keto diet. However, with the magic of fathead dough, I can easily satisfy my cravings. From bagelsto Cinnamon Rollsto even a pizza crust, there are tons of options and they taste just like the real deal. My recent obsession has been using this dough to make soft pretzels.
Are pretzels keto approved?
Ever tried one of those pretzels by Aunt Anne’s? These look and taste just like them, but without the carbs! They are perfect when the carb cravings strike or when you are feeling snacky!
Why you’ll love these keto pretzels recipe
- 5 ingredients and no yeast. No yeast or bread flour is needed, but you’d never be able to tell.
- No boiling or frying needed. These pretzels are baked in the oven.
- Easy to customise. You can keep it simple with butter and salt or try some fun flavors, like cinnamon sugar and jalapeno.
How to make keto pretzels
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour or superfine almond flournot almond meal.
- Baking powder– Leavening agent used to give the pretzels a little rise and fluffiness.
- Mozzarella cheese– Part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese, not the full bodied or fresh kind.
- cream cheese– Softened to room temperature. Your cream cheese should be full fat.
- eggs– Room temperature eggs. Two eggs are used in the dough and the third will be used as an egg wash.
- Salt– Coarse and flaky salt to top the bagels with.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a microwave safe bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 30-second spurts until the cheeses are mostly melted. Whisk together until completely combined.
Next, add the melted cheese mixture, two eggs, and dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse several times until a sticky dough remains.
Now, lightly oil your fingers and transfer your dough onto a lightly oiled kitchen surface. Divide the dough into eight equal portions and roll them out into a thin, sausage shape. Tie them into a large pretzel and place them on a lined baking sheet. With the remaining egg, whisk it together and brush over the top of each pretzel. Sprinkle with the coarse salt.
Finally, bake the pretzels for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely.
Expert tips for success
- Your dough should be smooth and combined, before rolling out into pretzels. You want no remnants of the melted cheese visible throughout.
- Do not over-bake the pretzels. They burn quickly, so remove when they just look golden brown on top.
- If you’d like sweeter pretzels, you can add some granulated sweetener into the dough. Start with 2 tablespoons and add more as needed.
- If you’d like to serve this at a party or event, make keto pretzel bites instead. Simply omit folding into a pretzel shape, but bite-sized pieces of dough. Serve with some softened Keto cream cheese frosting.
- Cinnamon sugar– Brush the pretzels with melted butter then sprinkle on cinnamon and Keto brown sugar.
- jalapeno– Fold through half a cup of sliced jalapenos to the batter and top the pre-baked pretzels with a few more.
- Roasted garlic and parmesan– Add melted butter, minced garlic, and parmesan to the bagels before baking them.
- Pepperoni– Top the bagels with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
- Raisin– Add 2 tablespoons of keto powdered sugar to the dough and 1/4 cup of raisins.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftover soft pretzels should always be stored in the refrigerator, otherwise, they will spoil. Keep them in a covered container or ziplock bag, for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place pretzels in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying it.
- reheating: Soft pretzels are best enjoyed warm, so zap in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven/oven for 5-6 minutes.
More savory keto breads and baked goods to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Snyder’s pretzels keto?
Snyder pretzels are not keto friendly. Their primary ingredient is wheat flour, which is made up of carbohydrates.
Do you have to boil soft pretzels before baking them?
There is no need to boil these pretzels before baking them.
Can I add yeast?
Adding yeast will not change the recipe, so it can be omitted.
Can I use almond flour instead of coconut flour?
This recipe uses almond flour. Coconut flour and/or other flours will not work.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese low moisture and part skim
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 3 large eggs divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, add the shredded cheese with cream cheese and microwave until the cheese has melted. Whisk together.
Transfer the cheese mixture into a food processor. Add the dry ingredients and two of the eggs and pulse until combined and a thick dough remains.
Lightly oil your fingers then transfer the ball of dough onto a kitchen surface. Divide the dough into 8 servings. Roll out each one into a 10-inch hot dog shape. Cross each one into a pretzel shape and place on the lined tray.
Whisk the remaining egg and brush it over the top of each pretzel. Sprinkle with the salt.
Bake the pretzels for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the pretzels from the oven and serve immediately.
TO STORE: Leftover soft pretzels should always be stored in the refrigerator, otherwise, they will spoil. Keep them in a covered container or ziplock bag, for up to 2 weeks.
TO FREEZE: Place pretzels in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying it.
TO REHEAT: Soft pretzels are best enjoyed warm, so zap in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven/oven for 5-6 minutes.
serving: 1pretzel | Calories: 179kcal | carbohydrates: 4G | Protein: 10G | Fat: 14G | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 43mg | fiber: 2G | Vitamin A: 234IU | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 2G