Are you thinking, “Ok, I would like to try the Mediterranean Diet, but what foods do I buy? Do I need to replace all the items currently in my pantry? Do I need to purchase expensive specialty foods?”
Well, following the Mediterranean way of eating is very easy and budget-friendly. There is no need to replace all the items in your pantry; neither do you have to buy expensive specialty foods. I bet that you already have some of the Mediterranean staples.
Please take a look at our Mediterranean Diet Shopping List. You can download it for free and keep it handy o help you stock your pantry and make your weekly meal plans.
If you have been following the Mediterranean Diet for some time now, you already know its principles and guidelines.
- Eat more fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts, fish, seafood
- Eat moderately dairy, eggs, and some poultry
- Eat fewer red meats and sweets
- Use high-quality extra virgin olive oil (use regularly).
- Reduce salt
- Use more spices, fresh herbs, garlic, citrus
- Include regular physical activity in your routines
- Share meals with family and friends and, enjoy life.
The Mediterranean food pyramid illustrates the pattern in which we should be eating.