Let’s curl up with the deliciousness of this harvest season with these Pumpkin Lasagna Roll-Ups! Creamy, cheesy pumpkin puree rolled up in lasagna noodles and smothered in a garlicky, creamy Boursin Bechamel sauce, which provides an irresistibly rich flavour⏤You’ll never make bechamel sauce without it again. It’s the ultimate cozy & comforting fall dinner!
Cozy up to this delicious these pumpkin lasagna roll-ups
It’s officially sweater weather in Ottawa, the chilly crispy air has arrived. So let’s embrace the coziness of the harvest season with a big, cozy hug in the form of the most comforting bowl of carbs imaginable⏤autumn is here, & so is this Pumpkin Lasagna Roll-ups recipe. There are so many things to love about this lasagna recipe, it’s hard to know where to begin to talk about it!
There are two competing stars in this recipe the first is the creamy pumpkin filling made of caramelized onions, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella, then there’s the luxuriously creamy, garlicky Boursin bechamel sauce that takes the riches of the sauce to a whole other level once baked each star infusing one other with an irresistible flavour.
Best of all, though? It’s an insanely easy recipe to throw together; however, there are more dishes than I would care to admit and about 30 minutes of active work. Let’s count those extra dishes as a mini-workout before indulging in a bowl full of cozy comfort. 😉 Besides…once it goes into the oven, the oven does all the work!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Lasagna noodles: This recipe uses one whole package of your favourite lasagna noodles. I recommend using the curly-edged varieties so the pasta gets a little crispy.
Mozzarella & Parmesan Reggio: Is it even a lasagna without these two? The combination of mozzarella and parmesan adds all that cheesy goodness you know and love about lasagna.
Onions: Onions Sauteed to a caramelized perfection, adding a beautiful sweetness to the filling. It may take a bit of time to get them caramelized, but you won’t regret it once you take your first bite.
Spinach: Adding spinach is my subtle endeavour to keep things healthy in this luxurious creamy lasagna roll-up recipe.
Pumpkin & Ricotta filling: This pumpkin fill is the heart of this recipe. The combination of ricotta, eggs, parmesan cheese and pumpkin gives this recipe its signature fall vibes.
Delicious Boursin Bechamel
This Boursin cheese is your new secret to the best-tasting bechamel sauce.
- Flour- All-purpose flour works perfectly with this recipe.
- Butter- If unsalted butter, be sure to give the bechamel a taste test and adjust the salt.
- Milk- any kind ok milk will work with this recipe, so if you want to light up the dish, feel free to use 1% milk.
- Boursin Cheese- This tasty addition is what takes your basic bechamel sauce to the next level. Use the garlic-chive flavour for this recipe.
Ingredient Substitutions & add-ins
- Protein – I didn’t add any meat to this recipe, but a sprinkle of cooked ground turkey or ground Italian chicken sausage are both great add-in options.
- Cheese – parmesan is delicious in this recipe, but you could also use pecorino Romano instead. Or you could use a shredded Italian blend of cheeses instead of mozzarella. This is also a delicious cheesy swap!
- Veggies – want to increase the veggie content in this lasagna? go for it! I love adding chopped sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, and even diced bell peppers to these rollups. I also love adding some fried sage on top for extra yumminess.
How to Make Pumpkin Lasagna Roll-Ups
The kinda fun thing about making this lasagna is the rolling up of the lasagna noodles, it makes all the steps totally worth it!
- Wilt the spinach and set it aside. Saute the onions until Golden.
- Meanwhile, boil the lasagna noodles until soft enough to roll up but not fully cooked.
- Mix the pumpkin puree, ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, and salt together and the onions once caramelized.
- Make the bechamel sauce: melt the butter, add flour, stir till it becomes a paste, and slowly add the milk. Then add the Boursin cheese and stir until the sauce has thickened and the cheese is melted.
- Pour half of the sauce into a baking dish.
- Coat the lasagna noodles with the pumpkin mixture and sprinkle on some of the grated mozzarella, caramelized onions, & spinach.
- Roll up the noodles and place the seam-side down on the baking dish. Complete the steps for all of the noodles.
- Once all of the roll-ups are in the baking dish, pour the rest of the sauce on top, and sprinkle the cheese over everything.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and serve!
Delicious pasta recipe to try
Pumpkin Lasagna Roll Ups
This Pumpkin Lasagna Roll-Up recipe is the perfect fall dinner. Its cheesy pumpkin filling is rolled up in lasagna noodles and smothered in a garlicky, creamy Boursin Bechamel sauce, which provides an irresistibly rich flavour⏤You’ll never make bechamel sauce without it again. It’s the ultimate cozy & comforting fall dinner!
- 1 pkg lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions sliced
- 6 cups spinach
- 1 cup mozzeralla, grated
- 1 cup pumpkin puree*
- 2 cups ricotta
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cup milk
- 1 pkg Boursin cheese garlic & chive flavour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1½ cup mozzeralla, grated
Make the caramelized onions. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter. Add in the onions with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring often, until the onions caramelize, about 30 to 40 minutes. Once the onions are golden and caramelly, transfer them to a plate.
Saute the spinach. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the same skillet and toss in the spinach and garlic. Stir, cooking until the spinach wilts. Transfer the mixture to a separate plate from the onions.
Prepare the noodles. Meanwhile, boil a pot of salted water and cook the lasagna noodles until they are al dente. Once they are finished, lay them out on a clean towel or parchment paper. Don’t let them stick together!
Preheat your oven to 350ºF
Make the pumpkin ricotta. In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, pumpkin, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper Stir until combined.
Assemble the roll-ups. Top with 3 tbsp of the pumpkin ricotta per noodle and spread out the mixture evenly. ( I like to place the 3 tablespoons on all the noodles before spreading it out, this way, if you need more mixture, you can add the leftovers.) Then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and spinach on each noodle. Then go through and top each with the caramelized onions. Roll up each lasagna noodle tightly from the end.
Make Bechamel. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once sizzling, whisk in the flour and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring the entire time to avoid lumps. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Once thicken, reduce the heat to low and stir in the Boursin cheese. Taste the sauce and if needed, add more salt and pepper.
Assemble the pumpkin lasagna roll-ups. Ladle ½ the sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place the lasagna roll-ups seam-side down in the dish. Pour the remaining sauce over top of the rollups. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top, along with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.